Saturday, June 27, 2009

No time like the present

I have several writer friends. Some author friends as well. What's the difference? To me, a writer is someone who writes or spends time attending to the craft but an author has gone the next step and become published by whatever means is available to them, whether it be indie, self, or traditional.
It takes courage to do that. Anyone can go around saying they are writing a book. I have one acquaintance who has been talking about the same book for as long as I have known her - going on 12 years now. She is "compiling", "researching", "organizing". But I don't see a lot of writing.
Time is short. We never know what we are going to be faced with from one day to the next. Seize today. It's the only one we've got.
If you want to be an author, write and take the steps necessary to get published. I can't tell you how good it feels to hold a completed published book in your hands. For a writer, I don't think there is anything better.

1 comment:

mjnickum said...

I agree with you. There is no better feeling than seeing something you have created, a part of yourself, in print. I know writers that are constantly revising and rewriting but never submitting. I've written, revised, rewritten, submitted and published. It's very fulfilling! But it takes confidence to finally say "This is the best I can do. This is me. Take it from here."