Friday, December 18, 2009

Ritual and writing

It's important to write every day if you are serious about writing. It doesn't matter what you write, only that you do. I have developed a ritual around that. I prefer doing my creative writing on my laptop on the living room sofa. I associate my office with work [my businesses] and my writing is not work - it's a love. So, I crave a different location for that.
So, I sit on the sofa, laptop on my lap [where else?]. From my sofa I can look out onto the patio and the hummingbird feeder. I can watch the birds and listen to the wind drift through the palm tree fronds on days when I can open the patio doors. And I burn my favorite candle. It's African Amber, a musky scent that I love and because of this daily ritual, just the scent of it makes me feel inspired.
BUT - I just found out today that the store that stocked it is no longer in business and I cannot buy the candle anywhere else. I immediately felt panic.
But do we need ritual to produce?
Can we be just as productive even if we have been conditioned to need certain talismans to trigger our creativity?
I admit I have a certain fear about what will happen when my reserve of African Amber is truly gone. I am sure I will go to every candle shop I can find in search of something similar.
But I am also going to try to wing it alone and see what happens. I know my talent [if I truly have any] does not need a candle to produce. But setting the mood is important. I just need to be a little flexible about it.
And if anyone knows where I can get African Amber candles, email me. :>)

No comments: