Friday, February 12, 2010

My blog was quoted!

I have Google alerts set up - every author should. You never know when something is posted about you or your work that you should be aware of.
So, lo and behold, the other day an alert pops up telling me that my blog on ebooks [see below] had been quoted in an article on ebooks. How cool is that?
This points up two important things.
Blogging does work and if you write enough and well enough about a topic you know, you will eventually get someone's attention. This could lead to increasing your circle of influence. You never know where it might lead.
And you never know where it might lead. No, that was not an error. I repeated it for a reason. Be careful what you write. Don't write something you would be ashamed to have printed somewhere else. Don't jeopardize your job or your friends and family. Be informative but use common sense.
Employers are becoming very savvy about blogs and the Internet. Many of them Google prospective employees to see if there is anything damaging out there. Yes, we have freedom of speech. But we also have a brain. It pays to use it. I am amazed sometimes when I see what some people think is all right to post in blogs and on places like Facebook.
That being said, how cool is that that someone found my blog and thought it worthy to quote? It might not be much but it made my day.

No comments: