Friday, November 20, 2009

The play's the thing

Last night hubby and I went to see The Phantom of the Opera. We had seen it years ago on Broadway and now the touring company brought it to AZ. I have never been fond of this play in terms of characters or storyline but I love the music.
And I was not disappointed. The female lead's voice was beyond magnificent. Can't say as much for her character's mentality or that of most of the characters in the play but the house was packed as I'm sure it was every night.
So, then, this begs the question if the story line is silly [a deranged malformed man influences an impressionable young girl and throws an opera house into turmoil] what drives the audience to flock to it day after day, year after year?
Pathos, pageantry, beautiful, angelic voices singing haunting melodies.
Can anything be derived from this and applied to modern fiction?
I think so. Make your characters memorable, be they good or bad, smart or vapid. Make them real, make your audience have a gut reaction to them and them hive the audience something else besides.

No comments: