Monday, April 19, 2010

Why do you write?

Just about everyone tells me they have a book in them but it's rare for most to get beyond that point. Anyone who completes a whole manuscript should pat themselves on the back. Whether it's the next great American novel or "just" a book, the fact that someone gets that far is noteworthy.
Why do we write? For me, it's something I have to do. I see the world as a writer. I find myself narrating my life to myself sometimes. Maybe that's a form of insanity. But I tried not writing and wasn't happy. I have to write. Some days it may just be a blog entry but at least it's something.
And I read. Every day. Some books [ like The Help] make me wish I was a better writer. It certainly gave me the drive to want to be better. To try harder. And to get back at the keyboard and write more.

1 comment:

~LaJoie~ said...

I was just at a writer's conference at which author Bob Hostetler said:

"Maybe you're asking, should I become a writer? Well, my answer to you is, if you can possibly live without writing, do it. Don't write for any other reason than that you HAVE to write."

I sometimes feel that if I don't express myself in written words, I will explode! I guess that means I'm supposed to be a writer. ;)

LaJoie Ward from Thoughts of Joy
http://thoughtsofjoy17.blogspot.com